March 16, 2020
UPDATED: What We Are Doing to Keep Our Community Connected Re: COVID-19
Consistent with guidance from local, state, and federal health officials, PIC offices will be closed through at least Friday, March 27. In the interim, PIC staff will be reaching out to the students, young adults, employers and other partners to offer the support detailed below.
In addition, in our role as the city’s MassHire Workforce Board, we are assisting our career centers as they transition to providing remote service to their existing customers and to those who need to apply for unemployment insurance through an expedited process.
- Maintaining contact with students over phone, text and email to edit resumes, submit applications, and prep for interviews
- Developing special guidance on preparing for phone and video interviews, assuming these activities resume in April
- Connecting with employers to provide updates on summer internship applicant pools
- Sharing updates and keeping informed of changes in interview and internship plans
Re-Engagement Center (REC)
- Reaching out to engage students who have been in contact with the REC regarding a new school placement, particularly those who have been chronically absent prior to coming into the REC
- Transitioning students in blended learning programs at the REC to online learning
- Working with the Boston Public Schools to distribute Chromebooks to REC students who need one to participate in online learning
Success Boston Coaches
- Supporting students as they come off spring break to online classes
- Providing updates on resources available to students who may face economic hardship
Opportunity Youth / Launch
- Continuing outreach to young adults who are not enrolled in college or post-secondary training
- Making emergency assistance available to those enrolled in the United Way’s Launch initiative, and perhaps others over time
Social isolation will be one of the most dangerous side effects of the necessary containment effort. Persistent communication with students and young adults may be one of the most important contributions the PIC staff are able to make in the coming days and weeks.
In the days and weeks ahead, please feel free to reach out to any PIC staff member by email or to connect with us in general at email@example.com. PIC staff will be working remotely, and we welcome your questions and comments.
Resources for Students and Families (List is Being Updated on an Ongoing Basis)