Job Opportunities for BPS Students

Three BPS StudentsIf you are a student in the Boston Public Schools, you can talk with a PIC career specialist about how to get a job.

A career specialist will work with you on creating or updating your resume, help you practice your interviewing skills, and work with you to find a job or learn more about career possibilities. You can also ask your career specialist about how to get help passing the MCAS.

To get started, click here to contact the career specialist from your high school.

In preparation for meeting with your school's career specialist, there are a few things you can do on your own:

  1. Get a social security card. You must have a social security number to apply for a job, and some employers will ask to see your card. For more information on how to get a card, visit
  2. If you are 18 years old, get a picture identification (ID) card. To find out how to get a card, visit the Registry of Motor Vehicles at You can get a picture ID even if you do not have a license to drive.
  3. Prepare yourself. Gather your work and volunteer history, as well as the names, e-mails, and phone numbers of people who can serve as references for you (teachers, community members, coaches, etc.) when you apply for a job. You can even start to fill in this resume template.

Read more about the different kinds of job programs available to you through your PIC career specialist.